This Moving House New School Checklist will assist you with going to a new school.
- Learn which schools are available in your new location. Australian Vanlines or your real estate agent can assist you with this. If there is more than one school, visit the schools to determine which one suits your child and your needs.
- Enrol your child in school. Bring with you information about your child’s previous school, your new address, emergency contacts, and if necessary, medical information.
- Check with the school to see if you need to provide an Immunisation Certificate or Record.
- Ask the school for the date school starts and the hours it operates.
- Ask about the school's policy on school uniforms.
- To help cut costs, ask if the school operates a uniform clothing pool. This is where you'll find new and second hand items.
- If you need to buy a uniform, ask the school which retailers stock their uniform. Get a list from the school which items are required.
- Get a list of equipment required from the school. Get bags, sports clothing, books, paper, pens and other equipment ready for school.
- Clearly label your child's equipment and clothing.
- Visit the school with your child before starting school. It will help make their first day less scary.
- If your child is young, practice their new address and phone number with them. This will help avoid the feeling of being lost in a new place.
- Arrange transport. If your child is riding a public bus, take a practice trip with them to make sure they know which bus to ride and where and when to get on and off.
- Discuss with your child and plan what food and drink will be taken to school.